Franklin preached in Lahoton. There were 60-65 packed into the meeting area. Modeste translated. The service went well. Calixte and I were in a house church of 12 people in Savalou. Worship is very animated. I made my effort to cooperate by swaying and clapping. Calixte instructed me to dance. “I am dancing,” I said. “No, dance like A.B.” he replied. Calixte later recalled the dancing of both A.B. and Squeaky.
Franklin and Modeste arrrived as our service concluded. They asked him to give a word. When he started speaking, I realized had just squirreled away some sunflower seeds. I was amused to see him give a greeting with one side of his face puckered to keep from spitting seeds.
The leader/pastor of the house church is Palagea Sono—a female. Her husband is Anselm Sono. He pastors in Djegbe (2-3 hours away). He and his wife are teachers and have been assigned to teach in different towns. They started churches according to where they live. Palagea reminds me of Jennifer, Georgia, or any number of God-fearing women. Separated from her husband and with a strong spirit of God, she cannot not worship. As a result a small group has formed around her. One of the reasons the church is small is because she is female. She and her husband are aware of this.
Anselm was in town to receive asthma treatments, otherwise he would have been in Djegbe. The church in Djegbe has 30 people. Both churches are less than three years old.
There was a boy of 9-10 years in the house church named Daniel. I sensed the spirit of God was strong upon him. When visiting with the Sono's I asked to speak to him but he had already gone. I asked them to tell the boy—I later found his name to be Daniel—that I sense God's spirit in him and want to enourage him to dispense to others the grace, mercy, and forgiveness he has received.
Pagalea said that on Christmas Eve 2009 they were doing door-to-door evangelism. Previous groups were afraid to go to Daniel's house because his family was so involved in voodoo. They have not permitted evangelism before. Daniel had been sick for some time. Offerings and sacrfices to voodoo had not produced anything. As either Phillippe or Pagalea shared the gospel, Daniel lay lethargically on the floor. During the gospel presentation, Daniel got up and started moving. The family warmly received the message. The next day they were in church. Daniel's faith has grown strong while his family has reverted to voodoo worship. When asked to offer a special sacrifice to voodoo (somewhat of a family special occasion), Daniel refused. He has been full speed ahead in his faith.
Franklin and Modeste arrrived as our service concluded. They asked him to give a word. When he started speaking, I realized had just squirreled away some sunflower seeds. I was amused to see him give a greeting with one side of his face puckered to keep from spitting seeds.
The leader/pastor of the house church is Palagea Sono—a female. Her husband is Anselm Sono. He pastors in Djegbe (2-3 hours away). He and his wife are teachers and have been assigned to teach in different towns. They started churches according to where they live. Palagea reminds me of Jennifer, Georgia, or any number of God-fearing women. Separated from her husband and with a strong spirit of God, she cannot not worship. As a result a small group has formed around her. One of the reasons the church is small is because she is female. She and her husband are aware of this.
Anselm was in town to receive asthma treatments, otherwise he would have been in Djegbe. The church in Djegbe has 30 people. Both churches are less than three years old.
There was a boy of 9-10 years in the house church named Daniel. I sensed the spirit of God was strong upon him. When visiting with the Sono's I asked to speak to him but he had already gone. I asked them to tell the boy—I later found his name to be Daniel—that I sense God's spirit in him and want to enourage him to dispense to others the grace, mercy, and forgiveness he has received.
Pagalea said that on Christmas Eve 2009 they were doing door-to-door evangelism. Previous groups were afraid to go to Daniel's house because his family was so involved in voodoo. They have not permitted evangelism before. Daniel had been sick for some time. Offerings and sacrfices to voodoo had not produced anything. As either Phillippe or Pagalea shared the gospel, Daniel lay lethargically on the floor. During the gospel presentation, Daniel got up and started moving. The family warmly received the message. The next day they were in church. Daniel's faith has grown strong while his family has reverted to voodoo worship. When asked to offer a special sacrifice to voodoo (somewhat of a family special occasion), Daniel refused. He has been full speed ahead in his faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment